WHAT IS SHEROES?
This is a platform for women* artists, allies and organisations to use their creative expression to give a voice to and turn our eyes towards silenced and overlooked heroines – sheroes – throughout herstory and visual art, and offer inspiring female role models for us all.
After having run gender-oriented workshops and visits in museums since 2012, we realised that there still is an important lack of female role models in society. As Ms Guderley, co-founder of the Stemettes group, said, "You can't be what you can't see, which is why including varied female role models across all subjects is of crucial importance."
As a result, in March we hosted Sheroes, a collaborative project bringing together UK and international artists, feminist organisations, charities and the general public. We exhibited 26 artists, run 3 workshops, hosted 5 post-exhibition events and over 800 people benefited from it
Sheroes now comprises social exhibitions, events, art workshops and museums talks that offer a unique opportunity for interaction and dialogue between the public and artists.
THE LON-ART SHEROES MANIFESTO
We the undersigned believe:
1. Women have been silenced and stifled throughout history
2. Women in literature, art and beyond have traditionally been reduced to negative stereotypes and archetypes
3. Women’s true stories deserve to be brought to the fore
4. We have to do more to promote the diversity of positive role models in society, in terms of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, social background and beyond
5. Sheroes should be an inspiration to everyone, regardless of gender
6. Sheroes don’t need to have been born into a ‘female’ body!
7. Collaboration is a form of sheroism: no room for egos – let’s work together and share the recognition
8. Strength and power come in different forms – women need referents for strength that are on their own terms, outside of patriarchy
9. Art is political and creative expression can contribute towards changes in society
10. Every month should be Women’s History Month!
*Please note that Sheroes project stands for diversity and therefore includes women, trans and gender non-conforming individuals, without them our mission wouldn't be complete.
The Sheroes Team